What is a Disk Partitioning meant?
- Disk partitioning means making more than one region on the secondary storage so that each region can be handled separately. These regions are called partitions. It is usually the first step before any file system is built to prepare a newly installed disk.
- Each partition will be viewed as a separate disk by the computer and each will be shown under “Windows Explorer” (Local Disk C, Local Disk D, Local Disk E and so on). Some partitions are available for the operating system while in the other partitions you can store data.
Why It is required to Partition a Hard drive?
Most PCs or laptops come with a single partition on their hard drive, which means it appears as a single drive in the window of the device (typically C:). But it can be dangerous to keep your data, software and operating system on the same partition because if something happens to the index file of the partition then your machine will not be able to boot the drive and even if you boot on a recovery disk or external drive, you will not be able to access the rest of your files. So, make partition a hard drive windows 10 is necessary.
Therefore, you need to partition it first after installing a hard drive in Windows 10, and then format it before Windows 10 can access it.
You can also read, Exchange BKF file in one-shot.
How to partition a hard drive windows 10?
Method 1: Disk Management
- Initially, do a right-click on Start Menu and choose “Disk Management” option.
- Choose a hard drive that you want to partition. Then do Right-click a partition and choose “Shrink Volume” option.
- A pop-up window will open in which you can change the amount of space to shrink as per your choice. And then hit on “Shrink”.
- After the above step, you will see an unallocated space behind the chosen drive. Then, right-click on it after this choose “New Simple Volume” option and follow the wizard to format and create a new partition.
- Next, you will see a simple volume size wizard opens then specify the amount of space you want to assign to this new partition in MB.
- Hit on Next to continue.
- Assign Drive Letter or Path page will open next, leave as it is, and hit on Next.
- Select the settings of your preference on the Format Partition page (leave as default if you are nor sure).
- Hit on Next to proceed further.
- Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard page will open in the next step, then hit on Finish to create a new partition on the hard disk drive.
After completion of the partition, you can use your systems normally.
Method 2: Using Diskpart to create a disk partition
- Open a command prompt on your pc and then type exe.
- Then a DISKPART prompt will open, at a DISKPART prompt type: LIST DISK.
- Next, type: Select Disk 1 (This step will choose the disk and from step 2 make sure to type the disk number).
- Type: CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=10000 after selecting disk 1.
- Type: Exit at the DISKPART prompt.
We have discussed two types of manual approaches to partition a hard drive in windows 10. To divide the hard disk you may follow any of the above steps as per your choice.