Whether we admit it or not, we all like to look good; we love the buzz that comes when someone compliments us. Unfortunately at this time of the global pandemic, many of us are under stress, not looking after our health and emotional eating or drinking. It’s affecting our self-esteem and when we can return to socializing as normal, it may increase our negative emotions. Many of us will also be under financial stress and therefore have to work within a tight budget.
A good dose of retail therapy may be all you need. The problem is when life returns to normal, many of us may feel like our true fashion potential is out of reach on the budget we have (oh, the heartbreak!). Fortunately, it is possible to look a million dollars without having to spend a fortune. All you need are a few simple tricks of the trade.
- Decide what you really want: Far too often people say they can’t afford really nice clothes…and then spend $100 on multiple cheap items that are poor quality and won’t last. Ask yourself: do I want to invest in better quality? If so, am I willing to buy less, but at a higher price?
- Sort out what you already own: Have you ever felt like your wardrobe was full to bursting and yet you have nothing to wear? You need to do a stocktake. Start by taking everything out and sorting your clothes into piles: things you want to keep, things you’re not sure about, things you want to get rid of (AKA, anything that doesn’t fit), and things that are falling apart/faded/worn out. If you don’t love it, it doesn’t go with anything else or you haven’t worn it in over 12 months, it might be time to let it go.
- Sell what you don’t want: That dress you bought 2 years ago and only wore once? The shoes purchased online that ended up being too small? The coat that’s just not quite your colour? If they’re in good condition, try listing them on eBay or Facebook Marketplace. Selling your unwanted clothes and accessories is a great way to clear out your wardrobe and make a little cash while you do it.
- Decide what you need: Now, comes the fun part. The easiest way to upgrade your look is to invest in some good quality and classic pieces that can be paired with items you already own. These pieces may cost more but can be worn for years without them going out of style. I’m talking about things like a little black dress, a crisp white shirt, a good winter coat or well-fitting jeans. Don’t settle for “almost the right colour” or “a close enough size”. An amazing look often comes down to an amazing fit. If something is a little off (pants slightly too long, etc.) then spend a little extra to get them altered.
- Take care of what you have: Once you’ve invested in your items, take care of them so that they last the distance. This can be as simple as taking your shirt to the dry cleaners, polishing your leather shoes, or hanging up that dress instead of letting it crumple on the floor.
It is possible to master a stylish look without spending a fortune. With a little restraint, a few key pieces (and maybe a good tailor!) you can have a wardrobe that is on-trend, good quality and that will keep you looking great for years to come.