When redecorating or changing the interior of the house, it is overwhelming to decide the kitchen interior and décor. While the rest of the house has a dedicated interior type, the kitchen has an array of elements. You have to coordinate the countertop, floor tiles, cabinets, paint, stove, and appliances. In between all these things, selecting the cabinet color becomes the most important task because you can’t change the cabinets every time you redecorate your kitchen. Hence, what should you do?
How should you proceed?
The answer is light gray kitchen cabinets. It may seem unusual, but, isn’t gray a soothing, beautiful color?
However, before you decide how to pair shades of gray with other kitchen elements, it is necessary to decide the style of your kitchen. While gray is a versatile color that may complement multiple kitchen decor, deciding the kitchen style first will allow you to correctly select the hue and other elements.
If you are feeling confused, read more to understand how you can mix and match your gray cabinets with other kitchen elements.
Psychology of Gray Color: The Benefit
It is not uncommon for us to associate gray painted kitchen cabinets with a dull, depressing kitchen. However, the real situation seems contradicting. More and more homeowners are now selecting light gray kitchen cabinets for their newly decorated kitchen. This is because of the psychology associated with the color gray. Let’s understand what is it:
- Firstly, gray cabinets increase excitement and expectation. Think about it, whenever you walk into a kitchen with steel gray or light gray cabinets, you instantly want to notice what it is paired with. Gray accentuates the look of all the other kitchen elements such as backsplash, countertop, floor, etc. This also means that if you have something great planned for other elements such as artwork for backsplash, gray painted kitchen cabinets can highlight it.
- Secondly, gray cabinets are associated to a classy, unmitigated look. This means that you can radiate luxury and elegance with light gray kitchen cabinets. Imagine, shiny gray steel-colored cabinets. Wouldn’t it be great to have this extraordinary element in your kitchen?
- Lastly, when compared to other tints and hues, gray is a soothing and naturally relaxing color. It offers a more pleasant feeling to your kitchen.
Mix and Match and Pair Light Gray Kitchen Cabinets
The light gray kitchen cabinets radiate attributes like peace, quiet, tranquility, and warmth. But, it is likely for homeowners to get perplexed about the mix and match and how to pair light gray kitchen cabinets with other elements.
Hence, to help you strike a chord between every kitchen element, we have given some tips below. Check out how you should pair gray cabinets with a countertop, backdrop, sink, floor tiles, etc.
- Don’t pair your kitchen cabinets with other hues of gray. It will radiate a dull and depressing tone. Instead, use warm shades such as wood, granite, brown, white, etc. In fact, you can use bold shades, which will give a great, contrasting look. But, you need to be careful with bold shades as well, for example, pairing gray painted kitchen cabinets with yellow or orange can become the worst kitchen décor disaster ever.
- Another thing that you can experiment with is keeping the palette neutral so that every shade stands out but still complements each other. For example, granite with gray cabinets and white backdrop is a classy, soothing combination.
- If your kitchen is small or has less light, it is suggested to utilize lighter shades of gray cabinets along with white backdrop paint. This is because white and light gray both reflect more light and these colors and hues radiate a spacious look. So your kitchen will look spacious and vibrant.
Here are some additional themes and styles that you can utilize for your kitchen.
The Beach Look
The beach look is more lively and perfect if you have natural light coming into your kitchen. In this case, you can use very light gray kitchen cabinets, green plants, one golden centerpiece hanging, white countertop, and dark gray lower cabinets. Pair the backsplash with white-colored paint.
The Stone Look
The stone look goes amazingly well with large kitchen spaces. Pair your gray paint kitchen cabinets or steel kitchen cabinets with granite or marble countertop and brown colored lower drawers. To add a touch of style and royal look to your kitchen place, use two light hangings above the center countertop. However, since the colors are of a darker shade, it can make a small kitchen look even smaller.
The Contemporary Look
There is a classic aura in gray which can be utilized for a contemporary look. In this look, you can keep everything in two shades: light gray and white. While white will reflect more light making your kitchen look bright, light gray at places like countertop, cabinets, and chair will add to the elegant touch of white.
The Bold Look
Lastly, we simply love this bold look. It takes a lot of planning to get this style right but the final outcome is simply breathtaking. Let us describe the look:
Dark-toned gray cabinets, white backsplash (it can also be a pattern in white), white countertop, white or lighter shade lower cabinets, and black or brown chairs (other furniture). Also, add a vibrant flower vase on the center countertop.
Light gray kitchen cabinets offer an array of décor options that can make your kitchen stand out. You can tweak the other elements such as paint, backdrop, floor tiles, etc. to make your kitchen radiate a soothing, tranquil, and relaxing look. Simply put, with gray cabinets, you can create a feeling of warmth in your kitchen.