With India moving fast to go all-digital, a large number of government job examinations like SBI Bank PO recruitment, SSC CGL, LIC, RRB etc and entrance exams like CAT, JEE, NEET etc have been abandoning the pen-and-paper mode and adopting the online centre based test mode. Online mode of examination offers data security, transparency and accuracy in test results and conduction.
With the Covid-19 pandemic and the social distancing norms associated with it, online examinations are going to be even more prevalent this year. Online examinations are extremely different from the traditional pen paper-based exams in terms concept, approach and strategy. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind before and while preparing for an online examination this year, especially if it is your first time.
Follow authentic sources for exam related information:
When you come across a message/post in your feed about an examination, like ‘SBI PO Apply online’,you must check its official website or the site of a reputed coaching provider company.
- The official notification, last date to submit,steps to apply online,eligibility criteria and other relevant information are clearly mentioned on the official website of the exam conducting authority. Any changes or updates about the process ,result and cutoff are also published on the websites.
- It is important that you analyse the official pattern and syllabus before you start preparing for any examination. You must keep an avid eye on such information and stay updated.
- The admit cards are also released on the same website. You must read the instructions and strictly follow them to avoid any last moment hassles.
- Make sure you do not carry any electronic gadgets to the online exam centre as this will be treated as a criminal offence and you might be banned for all future examinations.
- Carry the required documents like ID proofs, photographs, certificates etc as per the instructions mentioned in the admit card. Online examinations generally follow a pre and post biometric attendance system.
- Ensure that you reach the centre before the mentioned reporting time so that you have enough time to get your biometric done smoothly.
Mock Tests and Strategy:
A lot of resources and coaching institutes offer mock tests that simulate the actual exams in terms of look and feel, pattern, interaction and marking scheme. You must make yourself familiar with the test environment well in advance before you attempt the actual examination.
It is also very important to develop a strategy to attempt a particular examination. You can practice and optimize your answering strategy by analysis through mocks.Take mocks as per your convenience but regularly. Prefer to take a mock as per the actual exam timing. This will train your brain to be active at that time every day.
Reading the exam instructions:
When you sit for the actual examination, it is extremely crucial to read the instructions provided. Before the time starts, a time of about 10 minutes is allotted for you to go through the instructions like number of questions per section, sectional timings, marking scheme, the penalty for cheating etc. While there are exams that specify the examination structure beforehand, some exams reveal the pattern on the exam day itself. You must use the initial time for instruction reading judicially to focus on how you would attempt the paper and maximise your score.
Reading Online on a Laptop or Monitor:
Reading online is very important to habituate yourself for reading comprehensions and questions on a screen. Reading online can be less engaging at times but you need to develop this habit so that you may focus better on reading long monotonous comprehensions online in the main examination. You must try to read at least 5 newspaper articles online daily. Do not use your phone to read online as it would serve no purpose.
Time and mind Management:
Time management is one of the most vital elements for attempting an examination online. You should not spend too much or too little time on any one question. A timer is present on the screen which will help you keep track of time during the exam.
Do not get distracted or nervous due to the timer, especially during the last few minutes., You must keep calm and focus on the examination instead of panicking. Do not over attempt in haste and panic, this can get you a lot of negative marks.
Online examinations are prone to technical glitches like power cut,server crashing,system failure etc. Do not panic if any technical problem occurs.Call the invigilators and let them know about the issue immediately. The answers are saved immediately on the server and the clock times are generally frozen,ensuring that your exam would start from the same instance and you won’t be penalised for the technical glitch.
Most of the exams have a ‘Save’ button for every answer. To ensure that your answers are stored on the servers, make sure you save all your answers by clicking on the button.
We hope that the tips mentioned above will help you prepare better for your upcoming examinations. All the best!