Leaky shower head and faucet leaks happen often when you are a homemaker.
In this pandemic, it is difficult to find a plumber, even if you find one, he will charge you more than it’s worth.
Then why not try to fix the leaky shower head or faucet all by yourself. You can save your money as well.
All you need is a wrench or plier, washer, nuts, Teflon tape (also known as plumber’s tale, PTFE tape or thread seal tape)
Here are some of the ways to help you repair your shower leakage problem:
Fixing the Leaky Faucet
1. Usually, the shower has two valves, a hot one and a cold one. So you have to diagnose your leaky shower to find out whether the leak is caused by a hot valve or cold valve.
You have to just feel the dripping water to identify which valve is affecting.
2. Now cut off the water supply and remove the shower handle. Once the handle is off, take apart the metal valve with the help of a screwdriver and unscrew the metal shroud. You’ll see a plastic covering remove that then there will be a nut removed with a spanner.
3. Then remove the chipped valve seat with the help of a wrench and replace it with a new one. Also, replace your old washer with a new one.
4. Once the chipped valve seat and faucet seat have been replaced, reinstall all the parts of your leaking faucet system.
5. At last, turn back on the water supply and test your shower by running it. Once you turn it off, the shower leak must be gone. If not, then may you have more than one cause for your plumbing leak.
Fixing Leaky Showerhead
1. Firstly, you have to unscrew the showerhead from the fixture. You can do this with the help of a plier.
2. Once you take off the showerhead, take off the Teflon tape too and replace it with a new one.
3. Now replace the showerhead to its place and tighten it a little bit with the help of a plier.
4. Once everything is replaced, you will see there is no leaking from the showerhead.
Fixing The Clogged Showerhead Holes
1. First of all, you have to turn off your water supply, if you are inspecting the showerhead or replacing it.
2. Then unscrew the whole showerhead or just the faceplate from the fixture. Once the screws are undone, take out the showerhead or faceplate
3. Now fully immerse the whole showerhead or faceplate in a container full of white vinegar with some coarse salt.
4. Soak it for at least 8 hours. After 8 hours, take it out and with the help of a toothpick remove the debris. Then clean the showerhead or faceplate with the help of a plastic brush.
5. At last, replace the showerhead or faceplate to its place and turn on the shower to make sure that the leak is fixed.
Fixing the Dripping shower
1.With the help of a screwdriver remove the handle and remove its handle cap.
2.Put the screw into the handle and remove the nuts properly. Make sure to place your nuts in a proper place.
3. Now, pull the cartridge with the help of a screwdriver. Now, try to pry up the retaining clip.
4. This step is the most important step because in this step we’re going to use a cartridge puller to pull out the cartridge.
5. This is the last step of this process. In this process, you have to fix a new cartridge into the shower. After completing the process your problem of leakage is fixed.
Replace a leaking faucet
We mentioned above how to fix the leakage in the faucet but if the faucet is unrecoverable then you can go to replace this.
1. The first thing you should do is to arrange the replacement of the faucet.
2. Now, remove the old faucet. Do this carefully. Do not damage your other pipes.
3. Fix the new faucet with the help of equipment carefully.
4. Turn on the water
5. Now, patch the wall. This is the last step of this process after that your leakage is fixed.
Hopefully, this article will help you to fix shower leakage at home by yourself. We tried to explain it as best as we could. If all these 3 ways were not helpful to you, you may find a plumber and get it done. But at least, you should try once to do it by yourself; it will save your money and time, and also make you independent.