MS Dhoni, the former Indian Cricket team captain announces his retirement from all sorts of international cricket matches on the eve of Independence day! It was a quite shocking announcement as his followers and fans all over the world were never expecting him to take retirement at this early age. Many of his followers were dreaming that he will lead the team in the coming 50-over world cup in 2023 which will be hosted by India.
Source: NDTV Sports
But Mahendra Singh Dhoni turned all of us in shock when he declared his retirement in front of the press media on the 74th Indian Independence Day.
The End of a 15-year old cricket Career Brought End to an Era
Dhoni was one of a kind, he was so special for Indian cricket, rather for India. There were fans all over the country cheering for Dhoni when he used to hit those amazing over-boundaries over the fences using his famous helicopter shot! He was mesmerizing to watch and the trophies that he has given to Indian cricket, no other Indian cricket captain could ever do that. That is why he was so widely adored by all, that is why Dhoni’s retirement marks the end of an era. We might not find anyone else like our Captain Cool ever.
People come and go, even the same happens for cricketers or any other sports person; But MS Dhoni is somewhat different, just like someone special with supernatural power and magical touches. He was famous for many things such as his attacking captaincy, powerful batting, ability to keep the mental balance intact in the toughest situations, ability to handle a team of superstars, exceptional planning and management skills- and all that are required to be a successful captain. Thus, MSD is considered to be the best Indian Cricket Team Captain of all time.
Many people will think about some other names as well such as Sourav Ganguly or Mansoor Ali Pataudi as their favourite captains. But when you consider the achievements as a captain, and the milestones they have covered as Indian Cricket Teams Captain, then Dhoni’s contribution is much more than anyone else.
Dhoni’s Achievements as Indian Cricket Teams Captain
- India won the first-ever T20 World Cup in 2007 under Dhoni’s captaincy.
- In 2011 India won the ICC one-day international world cup, and MSD was the captain
- Then, in 2013, no one can forget the Champion’s Trophy victory in England
- Under the captaincy of Mr Captain Cool, India came on top of the ICC test rankings.
Dhoni’s Cricket Career
- One of the greatest Indian cricket team captain
- Undoubtedly, the all-time best wicket-keeper batsman of India.
- The former Indian skipper became the fifth Indian to score 10,000 runs in the ODI
- The 12th wicket-keeper batsman to score 10,000 runs in ODI.
- The 39-year old scored 10,773 runs in 350 ODIs having an average of more than 50 runs per innings, which is a phenomenon.
- The Indian wicket-keeping batsman scored 10 centuries in 350 matches while there are 73 outstanding fifties to his name.
- Dhoni smashed 1.617 runs in a total of 98 international T20 matches for India.
- And, who can forget his achievements as the captain of Chennai Super Kings in the IPL matches?
MSD played the last cricket match for India on 9th and 10th July last year 2019, against New Zealand in the semi-finals of ICC world cup in Old Trafford, England. India lost the match and the pain is still haunting all the Indian supporters. And finally today, our captain retires from world cricket. He already took retirement from test cricket in 2014, but on 15th August 2020 he decided to retire from all kinds of International cricket matches. Fans want to still see him on the pitch with his hard-hitting shots, they will cheer for him, and he will score, but in IPL matches; the international cricket will miss the hero forever!!!